Saturday, April 12, 2008

Who needs HDTVs Anyway?

After hours of research and window shopping, I'm not going to purchase an HDTV anymore. Several factors that influenced this decision:

  • An HDTV will not fit into our current entertainment set, thus, a new TV stand needs to be purchased.
  • My family currently stays at a 3bedroom apartment and space is limited. No matter how nice they look, HDTVs will look best at a place that we own, not rent.
  • Can I really say that we NEED the HDTV? Or am I just buying it for playing the Wii? If the latter is true, then, this is the most expensive Wii accessory.
  • A friend who I shared my plan to purchase teased me for being American-ized on this purchase. Acquiring stuff on credit, interest free or not, is an American way of living.
  • $50 is enough to send 2 children in Africa to school for a month.
  • And finally, HDTVs cause cancer and premature aging. (HA!)

So, we'll be settling for a RCA 27" Tube SDTV, 27F554T instead. (See image below) It's still a TV, and is fully prepared for digital broadcasting at that. I'm going to look back at this decision as one of the smartest I've made so far.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does HDTV consume less energy? I think I read somewhere that it uses less power compared to a regular TV. Not really sure though.

kris said...

nice! check my recommendation on my blog..(just for fun, its under "movies and tears").

Anonymous said...

I like your style. We were thinking about buying a new HDTV for 400+, but when we learned that Our cable company doesn't broadcast in HD anyway, we decided to reconsider. Our Local Walmart carries the same TV you mentioned, and we don't like the idea of buying ion credit either.One problem- Our old RCA that we bought from Walmart just 14 months ago, stopped working. We are not sure that we should trust RCA again, but there are not many choices in the tube TVs, and especially around our area.