Monday, March 31, 2008

My Greatest Assets

I got married when I was 22. My wife and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary this July. I was just starting in my first IT consulting job, and I took a leave of absence telling my project manager that I was going to get married over the weekend. She smirked and asked me if I was sure. I thought that it was an insulting question - of course I was sure. But I dont blame her. I married young. Back then, I didn't come across as someone "marry-able".

And, in the course of six quick years, 3 boys joined the family. When I had only two boys, a warehouse supervisor at a small town in Portugal looked at me from head to foot and asked, "Don't you have anything else to do in the Philippines?" Again, that was insulting. I was 25 then. Easily insulted.

Now, I have a 9-year old, a 7-year old, and a 4-year old. My wife and bestfriend, and my boys, are my most prized possessions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The children are gift from God. They will treat you the way you treated them. Discipline them with love and never spoil them with material things. The most important years to teach them is from 1-10. If you missed those years, it can become difficult. Read books about parenting, listen to the learned but keep God in the center and you will never regret that you did. I pray that as the head of the family, that God will give you strength to keep your family happy and intact. May your family thrive. God bless!

Lolay of California

Anonymous said...

Thank you Lolay. Parenting is possibly the biggest responsibility after following in God's steps. But its a very joyful and fulfilling one as well.